Saturday 27 August 2011

Orientation

Summer is OFFICIALLY over. Weep! Law classes start on Monday. My, My, how the time has flown by. I really enjoyed my faculty orientation this week. The highlight for me was when some girls (new students) entered the room in barely there shorts (seriously, those shorts made better panties). It was noted twice during the function that as future lawyers, there is a dress code and such attire was not tolerated. I found it funny that persons needed to be told that...and I spent the summer obsessing on how to make my wardrobe lawyer worthy.

It could not have been more emphasized that law school is going to be hard. Every speaker was sure to mention several times that it would be beyond challenging but possible to survive. The feeling I had while I sat there was something akin to "Bring It!" Yeah, the idea of the challenged made me feel good, not because I'm over-confident (I know there are tearful, frustrated, I want to quit days ahead) but I'm looking forward to it all. The same feeling I get before I go mountain hiking (OMG every muscle is gonna hurt, I'm gonna be exhausted beyond thought, ooh pretty scenery, proud of my self for putting my best in each step and insanely happy to make it to the top...all in one feeling).

I'm nervous too..my continued mental mantra is "failure is not an option" alternated with "you can do this."

Did I get the internship I sought over the summer? Technically, no. But I have made contact with a firm (partner in firm) and I have gotten a tentative yes, so I intend to put in a few hours during the year. The firm specializes in Intellectual Property Law. Right now my interest lies in Land and Business law but that is mostly because I have been exposed to those study in those areas and find I enjoy them. I know almost nothing about intellectual property but I want to learn what I can about each field in law so that I can make an informed decision about my career path in the end. If you have to work hard, it should be at something you love.

Which takes me back to orientation. We were asked why have we chosen to law? I was interested in the responses of my new colleagues whose responses ranged from righting the wrongs in our current justice systems to a simple 'I've always wanted to do law.' I was glad they didn't ask for my answer cause there are many reasons I have chosen law. I guess I have a list and no, I didn't always want to be a lawyer. I would like to right wrongs in the justice system but that isn't my personal motivation. Honestly, the financial benefit is very high on the list and a true fascination for law is second. The outgoing Dean is his speech said we should do law because we love it. I think it's okay that my love for law is second...after all we don't live it the perfect world. What I do for a career I do out of genuine need to help myself and to help others (my family, my friends, my charities, my service group) and money is very high on their list of needs too. My dream is help others and do what I love at the same time. From a career in law I hope to find that sense of belonging, that "yeah, this is what I'm meant to do" feeling amid all the hard work ahead.

The first class...Law and Societies.

No comments:

Post a Comment