Tuesday 28 June 2011

The First Step...Acceptance

I've gotten in to Law School! Well, the Bachelor of Laws (LLB) program at my local University. I didn't harbor much doubts about an acceptance. I figured this was the easiest part of what lies ahead.

What has lead the 26 years old Teacher/ICT System Adminstrator down this new road? I have a few reasons, the chief of which is good ole money. After teaching for about 6 years, a teacher's financial reality is more than little burdensome. As I get older and try to acquire assets I struggle to make ends meet with my current pay. As it stands, I live at home with my parents and I am up to my ears in debt.

So my reality was...I needed to look for a better paying career..but why law? I have done a few law courses in past and not only enjoyed them but have done well at them. This lend to a serious look at why I can be a lawyer. For fun...I read, I write, I learn/research on a constant basis, I love to help others and I am like a dog with a bone when arguing a case (mostly mine). I could identify in myself some raw materials suitable for the journey to being a lawyer. I recognize I will need much more.

I also foresee areas I will have to work very hard on:

1. Depression - Law being a very high stress career and has a high percentage of depressed persons. Being myself predisposed to some depressive bouts, I will have a challenge in avoiding the pitfall.

2. Tenacity - I have a soft core, meaning I can be sensitive, given to crying and overall just ahhh I don't know how to put it. Sometimes I am a very strong individual but sometimes I don't handle bullies and mean spirited people well. To be a lawyer...I am gonna require a stronger backbone.

3. Scholarship - due to my financial condition, I am gonna have to work real hard and get one of these.

Ohh the list goes on but you know what....screw the list...I am gonna be a lawyer...the best one I can be. I looking forward to overcoming the obstacles, kick-ass and taking names.

Now comes preparation...what? Who goes into battle without armor, knowledge and strategy? Not the Victors...

No comments:

Post a Comment